Saturday, March 29, 2014

Saturday of Lent 3

All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night – Lutheran Service Book #833
Psalm 92:1-2; Psalm 4:8; Psalm 91



Teach me to live that I may dread
The grave as little as my bed.
Teach me to die that so I may
Rise glorious at the awe-ful day.

These are provocative lines, and those rarely expressed in song any more.  On the one hand, hymn’s author pleads with the Lord to teach him to live in such a way as to be cognizant and fearful of dying.  As the Psalmist puts it, “Teach me to number my days, oh Lord, that I may present unto Thee a heart of wisdom.”  On the other hand, we are called to die.   This is the paradoxical disposition of the Christian life that going to sleep reminds us of the eternal rest we have in Christ.

Eternal God, the hours of both the day and night are Yours, and to You the darkness is no threat. Be present, we pray, with those who labor in these hours of the night, especially those who watch and work on behalf of others. Grant them diligence in their watching, faithfulness in their service, courage in times of danger, competence in emergencies. Help them to meet the needs of others with confidence and compassion.[1]


[1] Lutheran Service Book, Collect at the close of the day © 2006 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis

No comments: