Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Jesus I will Ponder Now



Jesu, who for me didst die,
Livest now forever.
When my hour of death draws nigh,
Let me waver never.
May I e’er to Thee be turned,
O my faithful Savior!
Give me but what Thou hast earned,
More I do not pray for.

When Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe, Pilate said to them, Behold the man! - John 19:5

Introduction: “Behold the man!” That’s what Pilate said. Who is this Jesus? How will you perceive Him? How will you react to Him? What has He done to deserve all this? Our chorale for this evening penned by Johan Sebastian Bach gives us much to contemplate.

I. Behold, the Savior of the world. Jesu, who for me didst die, Livest now forever.

A. Christ died –
1. He died for every sinner.
2. He died for me!
B. But now He lives –
1. Death could not hold Him.
2. He now lives and reigns through all eternity.

II. Behold Him who will hold us in death. When my hour of death draws nigh, Let me waver never.

A. Each must face death.
1. It is appointed for man once to die and after that face judgment. -Hebrews 9:72
2. Death is a curse, which sinful humans have brought upon themselves. “The soul that sins it shall die.” - Ezekiel 18;4,20
B. Yet we can face death confidently in Jesus.
1. Because Christ defeated death by His own death we can now see death as a gate, which leads to eternal life.
2. When facing our own demise terrors of conscience may seize us. Only Christ can keep us faithful. “Be Thou faithful until death and I will give Thee the crown of life.” - Revelation 2:10

III. Behold Him who will keep us. May I e’er to Thee be turned, O my faithful Savior.

A. By our own reason or strength we cannot come to Him.
1. We are blind, dead and enemies of God.
2. Our sin prevents us.
B. Thus He sends us His Holy Spirit who…
1. Calls us - by the Gospel
2. Gathers us – into His body the Church
3. Enlightens us – with His gifts
4. Sanctifies us – keeps us holy
5. Keeps us – in the one true faith

IV. Behold him who will receive us into His glory. Give me but what Thou has earned, More I do not pray for.

A. What has Christ earned?
1. We now have peace with God.
2. We are given access to the Father’s throne - room of grace.
3. We have received forgiveness from all sin.
4. We’ve been given the hope of heaven with mansions glorious.
B. With all these gifts what more do we need?
1. The Christian can now be content.
2. There is nothing lacking for Christ has the sufficiency to supply us with all that we may ever need.

Conclusion:
I am content my Jesus liveth still
In whom my heart is pleased.
He hath fulfilled the Law of God for me,
God’s Wrath He hath appeased.
Since He in death could perish never
I also shall not die forever.
I am content! I am content!

Schnorr von Carolsfeld woodcuts © WELS used by permission for personal and congregational use. From Bach's St. John Passion

No comments: