Saturday, April 30, 2011

Confirmation 2011

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
Friedheim
10655 N – 550 W
Decatur, IN 46733
260.547.4248
www.zionfriedheim.org
A 21st Century Parish with a 1st Century Faith
Acts 2:42
Celebrating our 173rd Year
Chartered February 25, 1838
Easter 2 – Confirmation
May 1, 2011


The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Today is the day of your confirmation. You are a significant class – my 25th class I have been privileged to confirm here at Friedheim. Together we have grown in our faith and I hope you have also grown in faith, hope and love. Today you confirm the faith into which you have been baptized. Today you affirm your faith in God alone while He pledges to you His commitment to you. We can be confident of this, “that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus”. {Philippians 1:6}

The verse you have selected for this important day is recorded in Psalm 27:1 It reads: The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear – the Lord is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

We need not fear –

I. Because the Lord is the light of my salvation.

Light. Throughout the Scriptures, light is often used to symbolize well-being,

contentment and peace. Proverbs 13:9 reminds us: “The light of the righteous shines brightly but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out.” Solomon further explains in Proverbs 4:18: “The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.” Psalm 43:3 tells us –“O send out Thy light and Thy truth, let them lead me; let them bring me to Thy holy hill, and to Thy dwelling places.

There is joy and prosperity in knowing the Lord. With Him, you will have all the guidance and protection you will ever need.

When you say, “The Lord is my light” you are expressing confidence in Him as the source of your salvation.

Psalm 3:8 reminds us: -“Salvation belongs to the LORD;” From the Lord comes deliverance. You can be confident that the Lord will continue to guide and direct you. The forgiveness of sins, life and salvation has all been given to you freely as a gift. What a joy it is to know that the Lord Jesus is the very source of your salvation.

Transition: The Lord Himself is the light of your salvation. He has promised to direct your life. We need not fear for He is near. He is your strength in every circumstance. With the Lord, you can face any situation confidently. You do not need to be afraid.

II. Because the Lord is the stronghold of my life.

Psalm 9:9 tells us –“The LORD also will be a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble,” Notice how clearly we are told that it is the Lord who directs our life. He is the one who influences our life. He is the one who knows our future. In every circumstance, He will be there for you; in times of great joy and especially in times of trouble. He will be there for you - you can count on Him. Remember David’s words in Psalm 46: “God is our refuge and strength, and ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear

David reminds us in Psalm 18:2 “The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” The Lord will give to you His unfailing strength, as He alone is our refuge strength. He has promised to deliver you from all harm and danger. We can be confident that we are safe and secure for He directs your life. Remember the last petition of Luther’s Morning and Evening Prayer. It sums up what David is driving at in your verse for today. “Into Thy hands I commit myself my body and soul and all things. Let Thy Holy Angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me” When you are safely in the Lord’s hands all is well.

CONCLUSION: Remember the things that we taught you cling to that which is good and remember that the Savior walks with you every day. “The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear – the Lord is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid?”

No comments: