Sunday, November 5, 2023

Psalm 23;1 The Good Shepherd who shares His life with you.

Psalm 23:1 


The days are getting shorter.  The Church Year is ending. You need not be frightened by the promise of the Lord’s Second Advent and of His coming. He will guard and keep you. He will shelter you. And preserve your life. This promise is for you!

Jesus entered this world. To live a perfect life for you. He bore your sin as His own. All the way to the blessed cross. To die in your place. And then victoriously rise from the dead.  On the third day.

He has promised to walk with you. Remember His last five words. “I am with you always.” -Matthew 28 He is your good shepherd.

One of the most dearly loved Psalms - in the entire book of Psalms - is Psalm 23. The Shepherd’s Psalm.

David shows us the secret of a happy life. More than money. Riches. Honor. Or fame. David points to us the Good Shepherd. Who shares His life with you. He says in verse 1: “The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want.”

1.  The Lord is my Shepherd. David speaks of the great care that God takes for you. He is your shepherd. And you may call Him so. There was a time when David was himself a shepherd. He was taken from following the ewe’s great with young.

He also chose David His servant and took him from the sheepfolds; From the care of the ewes with suckling lambs He brought him, to shepherd Jacob His people, and Israel His inheritance.” (Ps. 78:70-71)

David knew by experience the cares and tender affections of a good shepherd towards his flock. 

David remembered what needs sheep had of a shepherd. He knew what kindness it was to them. To have a true shepherd that was skillful and faithful. He even once risked his life to rescue a lamb.

Our Savior refers to Himself as a good shepherd when He says, “I am the shepherd of the sheep; the good shepherd.” (John. 10:11). He is the shepherd of Israel, “Oh, give ear, Shepherd of Israel, Thou who dost lead Joseph like a flock; Thou who art enthroned {above} the cherubim, shine forth!” (Psalm 80:1), 

He is the shepherd of every believer. He knows you. He cares for you. “Like a shepherd He will tend His flock, in His arm He will gather the lambs, and carry {them} in His bosom; He will gently lead the nursing {ewes.}” (Isaiah. 40:11).

We are sheep who have gone astray. Lost in the rebellion of sin. We have become wayward sheep. Isaiah the prophet explains in Isaiah 53:6All of us like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; but the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on Him.”

As the Good Shepherd Jesus rescues the sheep. He takes them into His fold. And then takes care of them. Protects them. And provides for them. With more care and devotion than any shepherd can. He makes it his business to keep the flock.  Thus, we pray: “Into Thy hands I commend myself {placing} my body and soul and all things into Your care...”                                

Transition: If Jesus is as a shepherd to us. We must be His sheep. Inoffensive. Meek. And quiet. Silent before the sharers. Yes, and before the butcher too. 

But you know the shepherd's voice. And you follow him. Thus, you can say.

2. “I shall not want” David speaks of the great confidence. Which believers have in the Good Shepherd: "If the Lord is my shepherd. My feeder. I must conclude I shall not want. Anything and everything that is really necessary and good for me. He will provide."

Sheep cannot do one thing to provide for themselves. They need a shepherd. Who will provide for them. Of themselves, they can do nothing. They are lost. Confused. And would soon be destroyed without Him. Thus, the Good Shepherd will provide all that you need to support your body and life. Physical but especially spiritual necessities.

When you consider that Jesus is your shepherd. You can boldly say, “I shall not want!” You need not fear. 

You don’t have to worry about starving; Jesus upon finding you supplies all your needs. You have Him as our feeder.  

Not only can David say: “I shall not want”, but also, "I shall be supplied with whatever I need. If I don’t have everything I desire. I may conclude it is either not fit for me or not good for me currently. Or I shall have it in due time."

David, a king of his own right acknowledges that the Lord is his Shepherd-King. Jesus. Who suffered and died on Calvary’s cross, has become your good shepherd.  You need not worry about being in want. To the contrary. You will enjoy goodness and mercy each day of your life. So, walk with the Good Shepherd. - He guides and directs your path.

Word – 855
Passive Sentences -2,8%
Reading Ease – 87.2%
Grade Level – 2.8

Image: Ed Riojas, copyright Higher Things

No comments: