Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Herod: "I Entertained a Prophet"


 Greetings. I am Herod Antipas Tetrarch of Galilee. You are interested in this one whom you call Christ? I heard many things concerning him. True, I had my own private interpretations of him. But on that day when I at last was given the opportunity to meet him I came to the conclusion that this itinerant preacher was merely a fool!

He was a helpless defenseless simpleton, incapable of influencing anyone. No that is not merely my impression of this man. My impression of him is correct and I am happy to tell you why.

You will notice that the title of my testimony is "I entertained a prophet" I used the term "prophet" in jest. This Jesus had many a follower but that is the problem with the masses. There were fools and dupes in my term of office and there are those in your time as well. They will follow anyone who promises them the moon.

This Jesus was nothing more than a religious zealot, a mad magician who promised the people some sort of greater life but he could not produce. The people followed him until they saw the truth to the matter that he could not overthrow the religious and political forces and so they turned on him.

 Notice how quickly the people were willing to accept back on the streets Barabbas. On the one hand requesting a murderer and an insurrectionist might appear to be foolhardy but if there is one thing that I have noticed is that the people will not be taken for fools.

When this Jesus' promises of forgiveness and life with God fell short of what the people expected they could have nothing to do with him. It was a proud day for me when I finally got the opportunity to meet this Jesus. I had heard all sorts of stories concerning him. And yes, it is true, I had threatened him with the promise of death. But you have to understand I could have no one trying to infringe upon my territory. It seems that I was cursed with religious zealots throughout my reign in Galilee.

There was John the Baptist, another freakish hermit who accused me of having an affair with my sister-in-law. Since when has one's private life mattered as to how one rules the state? What did it matter to him? But he stirred up the people and there were rumors as to my competency as a leader. People began to say "character matters'' and there were rumors as to my effectiveness to serve.

As a precaution I had John imprisoned. And while I regret my rather rash promise to Herodius' daughter of up to half my kingdom, I remained true to my word. The head of the Baptist was the cost of a promise I had made. But I kept the power and the people feared me.

I was a forced to be reckoned with. As things worked out. Opposition to my rule quickly quieted down after John left the scene. This Jesus (whom I later was told was a cousin to John) would not have the opportunity to bring me down. That's why I threatened to destroy him if he were to clamor too loudly.

Pilate had finally recognized the right for me to rule. By sending me this Jesus since he was from my jurisdiction. Pilate recognized my territory and my control over that province. He had finally recognized my right to rule. That is why it can be rightly stated that Pilate and I became friends on that day.

True, my interrogation of Jesus turned out to be fruitless. He remained silent. He refused to answer. What did his silence say? At first I interpreted it as an act of defiance. But as I have had time to reflect I am now convinced that it was an intimidation of my rule and authority. He remained silent for he had nothing to say, nothing to offer, nothing to contribute.

Jesus? Who is he? He's a worthless fool, a mad man, a waste of a human life? What kingdom did he claim? What city did he build? What dynasty did he establish? The answer to all of this is nothing. Jesus? He's nothing and he remained silent in front of my dominions! And they call him a king? I alone am king! Long live the king!

Concluding thoughts: There are two, count them, two commandments dealing with coveting. These commandments ask us to look at the inner recesses of our heart. Where does all sorts of evil, injurious, and disgusting thought, words and actions come from? They come from the heart which is evil from the start. Herod Antipus, Tetrarch of Galilee came to the conclusion that he alone was king. He threatened anyone and anything that would stand in his way.

Herod in his lust for power made himself out to be the king of his entire circle of life. In so doing he could not see the one who came to save and redeem him. For us to have a clear understanding of who Jesus truly is we must come in repentance and faith and cling to Him alone for salvation and life. Lord deliver us from all sin from presumption, haughtiness and pride. My you increase and we decrease. Come take control of my heart that there rule and reign forever.

Illustration from a woodcut by Baron Julius Schnoor von Carolsfeld, 1794-1872, a distinguished German artist known especially for his book, The Book of Books in Pictures. copyright © WELS used by permission for personal and congregational use.

No comments: