Monday, December 28, 2020

Tuesday prior to Christmas 2

 

Psalm 119:97–104—Psalm 119 is an example of Hebrew poetry, which is different than English poetry. First, the psalm is an acrostic: that is, every line of each section starts with the same Hebrew letter, in this case ‘mem’ (מ). Another characteristic of Hebrew poetry is parallelism, where the two halves of each line complement each other in some way. Here, we see that the second half of each line serves to amplify the thought in the first half.

Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.

Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me.

I have more understanding than all my teachers for your testimonies are my meditation.

I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts.

I hold back my feet from every evil way,  in order to keep your word.

I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me.

How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.

The psalmist proclaims that the Word of God is the source of wisdom; it rewards the one who meditates on it by making him wiser than my enemies and having more understanding than all my teachers. So, too, let us not fail to immerse ourselves in the study of God’s Word, for it is sweeter than honey to my mouth.

Collect for Psalm 119: Lord, you are just and your commandments are eternal. Teach us to love you with all our hearts, and to love our neighbor as ourselves, for the sake of Jesus our Lord.

Collect for Psalm 119, For All the Saints, A Prayer book for and by the Church Vol.III © 1995 The American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, Delhi, NY

No comments: