Monday, September 7, 2020

September 7, Monday prior to Pentecost 15—




The Introit for this coming Sunday is taken from Psalm 143:1–2; Antiphon, Psalm 143:9
Psalm 143 is the last of the seven penitential psalms. It is, like many of David’s other psalms, a plea to the Lord to rescue him from his enemies.
David does not appeal to his own goodness or righteousness, however, but explicitly confesses that no one living is righteous before the Lord. Therefore, he must beg the mercy of the Lord: In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!
We get the sense that David is in desperate times. Without the Lord’s defense he has nothing. Thus he can say, “I flee unto thee to hide me.” David can literally declare, “I have hid my affairs, and troubles, my difficulties and all my necessities. I have revealed them unto You, who alone can save.”
This is how we, too, must approach the Lord when we ask Him to rescue us from earthly and spiritual enemies—acknowledging, as we do in the catechism, that we daily sin much and surely deserve nothing but punishment, and acknowledging that He delivers  us purely out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me.
The hymn writer reminds us
Other refuge have I none;
hangs my helpless soul on thee;
leave, ah! leave me not alone,
still support and comfort me.
All my trust on thee is stayed,
all my help from thee I bring;
cover my defenseless head
with the shadow of thy wing[1]

Prayer for Psalm 143Lord Jesus, you bring the first light of dawn to those who dwell in darkness and make your love known to them. Enter not into judgment against your servants, but let your Spirit guide us into the land of justice, where with the Father and the Holy Spirit you live and reign, now and forever. Amen[2]


[1] Jesus Lover of my soul, The Lutheran Hymnal © 1942 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis
[2] For all the Saints, A Prayer Book For and By the Church, Vol. II American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, © 1995 Delhi, NY

No comments: