Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ash Wednesday, February 14,2018 Isaiah 58:11-12



The season of Lent begins today. With the ashes of repentance.And hope which comes out of the ashes with the promise of forgiveness and life. At the cross we see that great exchange; God’s love and mercy offered to you and me by His own Son suffering and dying on a cross. 

The cross, and Jesus’ suffering on that cross looks hopeless. It appears to the world as failure. Yet it is the only hope for this world. Isaiah describes this beautifully when he says, “And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations.” Looking into the future, Isaiah was given a glimpse of Christ. We now begin to reflect as we contemplate all Jesus has done. For you,  and for the world.  

 Hymn: O Dearest Jesus, What Law Hast Thou Broken(Lutheran Service Book 439:6)
There was no spot in me by sin untainted;
Sick was sin’s poison, all my heart had fainted;
My heavy guilt to hell had well-nigh brought me,
Such woe is wrought me.

The Lenten season is upon us once again, O Lord God, and we come to You with the sign of ashes, and the sign of what we are and what we have been. With repentant hearts, we come to You, begging You for forgiveness and life.[1]

Almighty God, You have created me out of the dust of the earth: Grant that these ashes may be to me a sign of my mortality and penitence that I may remember that it is only by Your gracious gift that we are given everlasting life; through Jesus Christ my Savior. Amen [2]

Savior, the season of Lent is upon us. You have directed us to come imploring, crying out in Your Father’s name. As we have experienced the Father’s mercy and love, which You earned for us, may we demonstrate this same mercy with others especially those who do not yet know You for You demand both mercy as well as sacrifice from those who would bear Your name. [3]



[3] Taken from the CPH Lenten Series Don’t Be Afraid © 1980 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis MO

No comments: