Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pentecost 10 - Proper 14

People of Jesus’ day created a situation in which Jesus had an opportunity to explain for Himself who He was. Many ideas, opinions, and reports about Him circulated around the land. Today is no different. All kinds of things are said about Jesus – in books, lectures, sermons, and conversations. So what do you think about Jesus? Why not go directly to Jesus and let Him tell us who he is? Today we see what Jesus says concerning Himself. What does Jesus tell us about Himself?

1. I am from heaven – v.41 "Then the Jews began grumbling about him because he said, "I am the bread that came down from heaven."

2. I alone see God – v.46 I'm saying that no one has seen the Father. Only the one who is from God has seen the Father. No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him (John 1:18)

3. I am the bread of life –v.48 I am the bread of life

4. I give eternal life – v.50 "This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that a person may eat it and not die. He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." (John 6:36) "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.” (John 5:24)

In the Gospel of John Jesus comes to visit a grieving family. He speaks to Mary and Martha who were mourning the loss of their brother. Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the live he who believe in me even though they die will live forever. And everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?" (John 11:26)

No comments: