Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Lent Mid-week 2


Lent Mid-week 2
March 8, 2006
John 18:15
Jesus I will Ponder Now

Simon Peter also followed in Jesus’ path and another disciple

INTRODUCTION: Following Jesus’ arrest in the garden Peter and John follow behind the soldiers as Jesus is lead to Annas. Annas just so happened to be the father-in-law of Caiaphas – who had been appointed to serve as high priest.

It wasn’t left to chance that Jesus was sent to have an audience with Annas. Annas was the principle player within the Jewish Council. He made sure to keep a power hold within the court, keeping tight control within his family power base.

History tells us that four of Annas's sons were among those who succeeded him. His son-in-law, Caiaphas, held office from A.D. 18 until 36, during the time of Jesus' active ministry. 

Although others held the priestly office, Annas seems to have been the elder statesman and the power behind the throne.

Together these two men; Annas and Caiaphas, brokered much influence within the temple and the court - It was Caiaphas who had given counsel and warning to the Sanhedrin that it was expedient that one man should die for the sake of the people.            -John 18:14

Peter and John follow behind – they desire to see what will occur next.

I.        With Peter and John we view Christ’s Passion.

A.     “Yet, O Lord, not thus alone make me see Thy Passion.”

1.      During this holy season we meditate on what Christ did and endured to earn our salvation.

2.      We mark His arrest, trial, suffering and crucifixion.

B.     “But its cause to me make known and its termination.

1.      The cause for which Christ was arrested, tried, scourged and crucified was to win for me salvation.

2.      When Christ died – all of our sin died. Our sins, with all evil lusts were all drowned and killed.

Transition: But we do more then merely observe Christ’s action. We recall, affirm and believe what Christ has done. He suffered and died that I may receive salvation and life.

II.     We also recall the impact of Christ’s suffering.

A.     “Ah! I also and my sin wrought Thy deep affliction.”

1.      It was my sin and mine alone which caused Jesus to suffer and die.

2.      It is my sin which caused me to be separated from the Father, from Christ, and my neighbor.

B.     “This indeed the cause has been of Thy crucifixion.”

1.      Christ suffered for me because I can do nothing to earn my salvation. My sin robs me of fellowship with God or with my neighbor. “Lord if You should mark iniquity who shall stand…”  -Psalm 130:3 

2.      Because Christ has suffered for me and on my behalf I now enjoy the blessings that come from Christ’s bloody cross; salvation, forgiveness, life eternal.

CONCLUSION: Peter and John remain in the wings to see what will transpire next. What happens is that Jesus is abandoned by God and by men to take on our sin to Himself and thus win for us salvation. “Lord, may Thy body and Thy blood be for my soul the highest good.”*

- I Come, O Savior, to Thy Table” from The Lutheran Hymnal © 1940 Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO

No comments: