Wednesday, March 5, 2003

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday
March 5, 2003
Psalm 51
"With a Contrite Heart"

INTRODUCTION:  David, having been confronted by His sin confessed His guilt to the Lord. Moved by contrition and repentance He has given to us a model prayer by which we too should pray.

I.                    David's confession
A.     Lord, Be Merciful in My Need -1-4a

1.      I am very sinful - Vv. 1-2
1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.

2.      I am very sorry - Vv. 3-4a
I cannot escape:

a.      The ghost that haunts me - v. 3
3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.

b.      The guilt that horrifies me - v. 4a
4a Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight

B.     Lord, Be Mindful of My Nature - 4b-6

1.      I was born in sin - Vv. 4b-5
4b  so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

2.      I am blinded by sin - v.6
6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

II.                 David's Cleansing
He wanted the Lord to deal with –

A.     Sin's defilement - v.7
7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

B.     Sin's deafness - v.8
8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

C.     Sin's disgrace - v.9
9 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity.

D.     Sin's damage - v.10
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

E.      Sin's doom - v.11
11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.

F.      Sin's depression - v.12a
12a Restore to me the joy of your salvation

G.     Sin's defeat - v.12b
12b and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

III.               David's consecration

A.     The life he would not forsake -13-15

1.      He would continue to preach - v. 13
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you.

2.      He would continue to pray - Vv. 14-15
14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.

B.     The lessons He would never forget - Vv. 16-19

1.      The personal truth he had learned - Vv. 16-17
16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

2.      The prophetic truth he had learned - Vv. 18-19
18 In your good pleasure make Zion prosper; build up the walls of Jerusalem. 19 Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt offerings to delight you; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

CONCLUSION:  As we begin the discipline of Lent during this 40 days pilgrimage may we come to the Savior with contrite hearts to receive His Holy Absolution won for us at the cross and affirmed at the empty tomb.

No comments: